[Previous] The Pro-Authority Pledge | Home | [Next] Anthony O'Hear on Popper

Product Release: Yes or No Philosophy

My new philosophy education product is ready!

Yes or No Philosophy

The link explains everything, has screenshots, etc. In short, it's about how to judge ideas, in particular by using yes or no judgements. It has a criticism of Critical Rationalism and a big improvement. (The same criticism also applies to standard philosophies of knowledge.) This is an epistemology breakthrough.

I put a short argument from the product online. It gives an idea of what I'm saying. The overall product is more focused on explaining things and helping people learn, rather than arguing, but I do include quotes from Karl Popper, David Deutsch and others along with criticism.

I put a lot of work into this and I'm really happy with it. It's going to help people learn more about philosophy! Especially if you've been interested in philosophy but find it difficult to get into, then this could help get you unstuck. I put a lot of effort into making it accessible.

Mac software used in this project:

  • Screenflow
  • Keynote
  • Final Cut Pro X
  • Compressor
  • Ulysses
  • Lightpaper
  • Textmate
  • Affinity Designer
  • Numbers
  • Adobe Acrobat
  • KindleGen

Feel free to ask questions about Yes or No Philosophy in the comments below.


Elliot Temple on July 28, 2017

Comments (5)

patio11 on yes or no answers

https://twitter.com/patio11/status/1053064717621575680

> That is called "asking for the sale" and, while that [example] is a very unconventional way to ask for the sale, a *ridiculous* portion of all energy expended in the art of sales is to get conversations to the point where someone has to actually say yes or no.

> Relatedly: in the highly likely event that you get an answer which is not a yes or no, effective salespeople follow up until the sun goes nova waiting for either a yes or no.


curi at 6:42 PM on October 18, 2018 | #11299 | reply | quote

I have noticed at least some salespeople have two additional tactics:

(1) Assume the close: Instead of getting you to say yes or no, they slowly and carefully move from the pitch into finalizing the transaction as if you said yes. They only stop if you stop them by saying no. If you don't stop them, by the time you actually have to say yes by handing over money or signing or whatever, they act like you were the one being deceitful and changing your mind if you try to say no.

(2) Don't take no for an answer: They take even a clear no as just another request for more information before you say yes. To get them to stop you have to say something like no and please go away immediately.


PAS at 6:55 AM on October 19, 2018 | #11300 | reply | quote

Don Arabian's Yes or No Philosophy

Catherine Bly Cox & Charles Murray, Apollo (emphasis mine):

> [Don] Arabian’s passionate allegiance to physics was invaluable for his role at the MER [a.k.a. the Apollo Mission Evaluation Room, of which Arabian was the leader]. When an ambiguous problem came in, *he wouldn’t settle for an explanation unless it fit all the conditions. He was always aware of the brain’s propensity to jump to convenient conclusions*. “If something goes wrong, let’s say, and there are ten conditions that must be satisfied, and this one thesis satisfies them all precisely, see, except one, okay? Then that ain’t it. *It’s not ‘almost.’ You’re either there, or you ain’t there.*” Time and again during Apollo, Arabian’s cheerful intransigence turned out to be crucial. Often the situation that the MER had to deal with was indeed a problem for which there seemed to be an excellent explanation that fit all of the facts, all of them but one, and Arabian would refuse to accept it until that last small, unimportant anomalous fact was understood—when, frequently, it became clear that the problem and its solution were quite different than had been previously thought.


Alisa at 7:48 PM on June 20, 2019 | #12812 | reply | quote

CORRECTION: I didn't intend to emphasize this sentence:

> He was always aware of the brain’s propensity to jump to convenient conclusions.


Alisa at 7:49 PM on June 20, 2019 | #12813 | reply | quote

https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/oral_histories/ArabianDD/DDA_2-3-00-amended.pdf :

> ARABIAN: … George Low [NASA’s Chief of Manned Space Flight for Projects Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo], by the way, of all the people that I have known in the program, I admired him more than anybody else, for several reasons. One is, [he’s an] excellent technical guy. He knew; he didn't do things on emotions. He did it on, and I'll use the term, "engineering evidence," or physics, the evidence of physics...


Alisa at 8:59 PM on June 20, 2019 | #12815 | reply | quote

(This is an unmoderated discussion forum. Discussion info.)